What I started to understand was that verification had been improved to provide even greater assurance of data integrity and completeness, and verification became even more tightly integrated into other tasks where I was hearing customers ask for enhancements and performance improvements. Namely, Purge, Copy, Protection Plan runtime, more verify options, deeper visibility into restore point consistency. The compelling strategy not only offers data and referential integrity checks at newly implemented levels, but stages new, permanent indexes used by the other tasks. Along with new improvements in store tasks in their own right, tight integration with data verification actually boosts task performance significantly.
A more technical Knowledge Base has been posted here, but these are some of the key benefits.
Partial list of verification's impact
- View the status of each archive restore point. See the status change to ‘available’ after self-healing completes. Each restore point in the calendar view in the Restore context now displays restore point status as 'Available' or 'Available, Incomplete' with detail about any problem files in each restore point.
- Ever thought, purge takes too long? Purge task execution benefits from new restore point indexes built by the verify process for marked improvement in identifying items eligible for permanent deletion. Up to 10 times improvementin purge runtime in converted stores configured according to best practices.
- Copy tasks run faster. Copy task execution benefits from new restore point indexes built by the verify process to quickly identify items to synchronize, then multi-threads the copy processes.
- Protection Plans run faster with verified indexes. Protection Plans use verification results to update plan indexes at startup time to remove any problem references identified during verification.
- The new Verify process improves the self-healing strategy of the software. In addition to the self-healing process that primes protection plans to place good versions of quarantined items in the store, the verification process automatically re-verifies all items placed in quarantine and restores items back to the store if verified successfully. That should result in fewer support calls to resolve quarantined items
- New protection plans can load the global index to improve the first plan runtime. Verification builds a semi-permanent global index of the store's common content that improves item identification in the first runtime of a new plan, and in verify, copy, and purge.
We’d love to hear your experience running with the 9.0 release of the software. Drop us a line on the support portal.